Research design has a significant impact on the reliability of the results obtained. It thus acts as a firm foundation for the entire research. It is needed because it facilitates the smooth functioning of the various research operations. It makes the research as efficient as possible by giving maximum information with minimal expenditure of effort, time and money. For construction of a house, we need to have a proper blueprint prepared by an expert architect. Similarly, we need a proper research design or plan prior to data collection and analysis of our research project. Preparation of research design should be done carefully as even a minute error might ruin the purpose of the entire project. The design helps the researcher to organize his ideas, which helps to identify and correct his flaws, if any. In a good research design, all the components with each other or go together with each other in a coherent manner. The theoretical and conceptual framework must with the research goals and purposes. Likewise, the data collection strategy must fit with the research purposes, conceptual and theoretical framework and approach to data analysis.
The need for research design is as follows:
- It reduces inaccuracy;
- Helps to get maximum efficiency and reliability;
- Eliminates bias and marginal errors;
- Minimizes wastage of time;
- Helpful for collecting research materials;
- Helpful for testing of hypothesis;
- Gives an idea regarding the type of resources required in terms of money, manpower,Â time, and efforts;
- Provides an overview to other experts;
- Guides the research in the right direction.